May 3, 2014: In-Training for Peachtree, Week 10

Goal: to continue to improve (too generic?)


This was a funny week: I managed a slow 5K training run on Tuesday evening between rainstorms, and started physical therapy on the right shoulder on Wednesday morning.  The stretching in PT helped with soreness in the short term, and I'm continuing most of the exercises at home, but there has been more pain at night.  I wasn't able to start my scheduled run early on Thursday morning.  For some reason the soles of my feet were hurting when I woke up, although that improved with one more hour in bed.  So far that has been my worst deviation from the Peachtree training program, but as things transpired this morning, I think that the extra rest day was helpful.

Today was the second Saturday of the training course.  There was a 5K in the same neighborhood at the same time, a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, organized at the Big Peach Running Company.  (I will plan to run this one next year, as my father appreciated their support when he was successfully treated for lymphoma in 2002.)  Our head coach, Curt, had warned us in e-mails this week of potential traffic jams, but upon arriving at the site at 7:15 am, it only took a couple of extra minutes to drive to the Publix parking garage.  For some reason, today's group was much smaller, perhaps fewer than half of those present for week 1.  I stretched out pretty well while we were waiting to begin.  Curt reminded us of the safety rules, introduced the coaches again, and then we split up into smaller groups and started on our runs.

The temperature at the start was in the low 50's, cool but in fact perfect for a morning run, and once we started running, I was completely comfortable.  I was the only one running with Rocket Rob today.  He set a 9:30 minute per mile pace, and to avoid the organized 5K race, we went outbound on Peachtree, to the northeast.  At the start, Rob asked me how far I would like to go, and I suggested that we try for 5K (last week we covered 4.75 km).

The sidewalk in this direction was in better condition than our route last week, and there were fewer other runners in this area, so Rob and I were able to run two abreast for most of the way.  Rob kept up a steady conversation for most of the run.  He later told me that he was talking to keep track of my stamina.  If I had been unable to reply, he probably would have slowed the pace for my safety.

Running along Peachtree Road.  Brookhaven Country Club is hidden away on the other side of the trees.

Last week we didn't reach the  turnaround point before 13 minutes had passed, but today we reached the turnaround sign, at 13 minutes sharp.  We turned back, as a few of the other runners in the second group pressed a hundred steps more to the turnaround point.  As we returned to the shopping center, Rob stretched our run for one more block and back, to ensure that we covered 5K.  According to RunHelper, we covered 5.42 km in 30:45, an average pace of 5:40 per km, 9:08 per mile.

The best part was when I checked the splits.  I had managed a more consistent pace than ever before: 5:38, 5:44, 5:30, 5:34, and 5:42 per kilometer; 9:06, 9:00, 8:58 per mile.  Now I see the advantage of running with a partner.  Thanks to Rob for setting a consistent pace!  Hopefully I can begin to manage this on my own or in a race, now that I've found a good starting pace.

Goal: to continue to improve:  Achieved a consistent pace!  5.42 km in 30:45

No comments: