May 9, 2015: The Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure

"Quitting is Not an Option"

Dustin in our Weight Watchers group organized a team to run the Komen Race for the Cure 5K this morning, starting and ending at Lenox Mall in the Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta.  The Komen Foundation is dedicated to education and research about causes, treatment, and the search for a cure for breast cancer.  For today's fundraising event, more than 10,000 walkers and runners as well as countless volunteers joined together in common cause, to celebrate and support survivors of breast cancer and those currently battling this disease, and to remember those who have passed away from breast cancer.   

We run in celebration of Bonnie's mother:
a warm and loving woman, a talented artist, and the center of our extended family.
Although Komen races are held throughout the year and in many countries around the world, the Atlanta race takes place the day before Mother's Day.  My dear mother-in-law, a survivor of breast cancer from more than a decade ago, said something sobering quite recently: she is reminded of her struggle with breast cancer every day.  With that thought in mind, I ran today with a respectful attitude, for her and also for the many other survivors that walked and ran with us today.  

Just a few of over 10,000 runners and walkers in today's event. 
Throughout today's race, I was grateful for my health and regained fitness.  3 years ago, I doubt that I could have run for more than a minute or so, and was pre-hypertensive with a high resting pulse rate.  2 years ago, a few months into Weight Watchers, I was training for my first 5K and struggling to finish 3 minute running intervals.  A year ago, I was up to running 10Ks.  And over the past six months I've completed two half marathons.  But for me it's so much more than the distances covered or the times achieved: it's the improvements in health that I feel every day.  Those improvements keep me on track, helping me make better choices of food, and maintaining a good exercise program.  Our Weight Watchers leader, Ilyse, occasionally reminds us that "Quitting is Not an Option".  And just as importantly, if we fall off the plan for a meal or a day or a week or however long, it's always about getting back on track for today and going forward again.  

Our team name "Quitting is Not an Option"
l-r: Bonnie, Frank, Jackie, Dustin, Janie
The race itself went fairly smoothly.  I was wearing a new Garmin watch (Forerunner 15) for only the second run, and still getting a feel of the features, but I was able to stay close to an 8:15 minute / pace for the first two miles.  I slowed down a bit in the third mile going uphill on Piedmont Avenue, but then finished strongly, thanks to spectators and volunteers cheering and encouraging us as we neared the finish line.  


Right before I crossed the finish line, a spectator reached out to offer a high five.  It was gratifying to enjoy the support of someone who, in one context might be a complete stranger, while in another context she was a sister participant in our common cause.  

A mountain of bananas awaited the finishers!
(And apples and oranges beyond, oh my!)
At this writing (May 9) I'm waiting on the official result, but I saw 26:15 on the finish line clock as I crossed, and probably started about 10 - 15 seconds after the starting gun.  

Mile splits: 8:02, 8:19, 8:45, and est. 0:55 for the last 0.11 mile.