July 18, 2015: Decatur DeKalb 4-Miler

Goal C: To beat last year's time of 35:49

Goal B: To run another negative split race

Goal A: To finish in less than 34 minutes (8:30 minute / mile pace)


Last year I ran this race on wet pavement after an early morning deluge that tapered off just a few minutes before the start.  I deliberately began in the last wave, ran a relatively slow first mile in 9 minutes, and took it easy at a similar pace through the second and third hilly miles.  The payoff was the last mile, which I finished just over 8 minutes, passing people and rocketing through the finish chute.  That was the first race in which I ran a negative split, and the most fun that I had experienced in a race to that stage.  Since that time, my definition of a successful race has been one in which I can finish strongly and pass some people in the final half-mile, whether it's a 5K or a half-marathon.

 
Game faces on and ready to roll!
For the 2015 edition, the weather was sunny and dry, and also warm, in fact at 79 degrees F by the race start at 7:30 am.  I decided to start in the second wave for 8:30 minute / mile runners and faster, but in the middle of the wave so that I wouldn't begin too quickly.  Although I had a blast in last year's race, I thought that I probably could have run a little faster if I had not been as cautious in the beginning.  I set my Garmin at a pace of 8:30 minute / mile, with the aim not to exceed that pace for the first mile, and then run on feel for the next two miles through the hills, and as fast as I could manage for the final mile.  I also resolved that I would take a very brief walk through the water stop after mile 2, and would allow myself a short break at mile 3 if I felt that I needed it to make the strongest possible finish. 



With that game plan in mind, our race started precisely on time.  The first mile went really easily, and I felt that I was jogging even though I finished in 8:08.  The only disconcerting thing is that I realized about a half-mile into the race that I had forgotten to wear my heart rate monitor, and only realized it when my Garmin didn't give those stats!  I guess I wasn't quite awake when we left the house - even though I was the driver! 




Mile 2 passed under the old railroad bridge near the intersection of Scott Boulevard and Ponce de Leon, followed by a right turn onto Artwood Drive.  This was a challenging uphill section and I involuntarily slowed down in this area.  Turning again to run past Fernbank Elementary (now well under construction but not far enough alongto open next month), we finally reached Coventry Road for a left turn and a welcome downhill stretch, where I was able to pick up some speed again. We passed the 2-mile sign at 16:46 (8:38 for mile 2), which was on track for my dream goal A of a 34-minute finish. 



But I was really beginning to feel the heat at this stage.  After circling East Clifton Road and getting onto the main Clifton Road, I happily slowed to a walk for the water station at about 2.4 miles.  Running past the Oxford Road intersection (heading to the end of the Emory campus where I work), the road went uphill to North Decatur Road.  My pace dropped off quite a bit, in fact to an 11 minute / mile pace, but I decided that I couldn't really fight it.  And I needed to save enough to finish strong in the last half-mile.  After turning onto North Decatur Road, we passed the 3-mile sign at 25:52 (9:06 for mile 3).  I knew that I would have to run an 8 minute final mile to finish in less than 34 minutes, but didn't think that I could press any further up the hills.  



I started looking for the extra water station, not so much due to thirst, but I desperately needed to take a walk break.  But I was determined to stay on plan as I trudged my way forward.  I could muster only about a 9 minute / mile pace in this section.  Finally, with about one-half mile to go in the race, I saw the water station, where I accepted a cup of water from the volunteer, took a couple of sips while walking and stretching my right arm over my head, then pouring the last bit of water down my back.



Now to the finish!  I did begin to speed up a bit making the turns through the McDonald's parking lot and onto Clairmont Road.  One person passed me in this section but for the most part I was running strongly and gaining on some of the runners in front of me.  Very quickly I spotted the sign up ahead for the YMCA, then made a sharp turn at the corner of Maediris Drive.  



I found the next gear, helped by the downhill slope of the road.  I saw a runner 20 feet ahead of me that I had mostly followed throughout the race "Fueled by wine" on the back of his shirt.  He seemed to be flagging, I gave every bit of energy to sprint past him as I raced through the finish line!  8:59 for mile 4, 34:51 overall!

As I slowed to a walk, I felt for a moment like I might vomit, but fortunately I had eaten easily digestible breakfast and after a moment I began to feel better, probably as my heart rate began to drop from the maximum effort zone. I found my way to the water station at the end, and after a few minutes talking with an Emory chemistry colleague, had regained sufficient equilibrium to return to the course to watch Bonnie make her finish. 

Goal C: To beat last year's time of 35:49; Achieved with 58 second improvement!

Goal B: To run another negative split race; not this time :( 



Goal A: To finish in less than 34 minutes (8:30 minute / mile pace); not today but I ran the best race that I could in the heat, so I was satisfied with the improvement from last year!

No comments: