April 16, 2016: The Singleton 10K

2015 Singleton 10K time: 53:50
10K PR: 53:43 (Charles Harris, February 2016)


Having run a couple of 5K races at personal record pace, I was eager to see how I might fare in a 10K.  In last year's Singleton 10K, in Norcross in the northeast Atlanta suburbs, I set a personal record that stood for 10 months.  I had read somewhere that a 10K is generally run about 6% slower than a 5K, so multiplying my 5K PRs of ca. 24 minutes x 2 = 48 minutes x 1.06 predicts a 10K time of approximately 51 minutes.  That correlation has not held up for me, but I decided to run hard in today's race and see how I would fare.  My goal was to run splits averaging 8:30 minutes / mile, or 5:15 minutes / kilometer, which would get me below 53 minutes for the 10K distance. 

Earlier in the week, a Facebook inquiry on the Tucker Running Club page degenerated into a little trash-talkin' between Curt Walker, Brian Minor and me:


On race day, Brian and I discussed whether to start in the back of wave A or with wave B.  My concern about starting with wave A (7:30 min / mi or faster) was that I might be passed later in the race by a large number of 5K runners who had started with wave B, (8:30 min / mi or faster).  Since I wasn't planning to run a 5K pace, I thought it would be better to start with wave B.  Curt and Kathie Walker started as usual in wave A.  Brian and I lined up about three rows from the front of wave B, and our race began exactly two minutes after the official start.  That proved to be a good decision, as the runners around us began at the same pace, and the start wasn't crowded.  I had warmed up by jogging about 2 miles earlier in the morning, so my legs felt good from the beginning, and I had no trouble establishing the desired pace, 5:06 minutes for the first kilometer.  

A selfie before the race, with a frog on a bench in Thrasher Park, in historic downtown Norcross.
You can see more of these frog statues in the Botanical Gardens in midtown Atlanta. 
Brian and I went back and forth for the first couple of miles, and he passed me when I took a walk break through the water station shortly before the mile 2 marker.  I managed to catch up to Brian by the turn-around and even yelled something like "Right behind you, Brian Minor!"  I opened up a gap on Brian in the third mile, just hoping that I wouldn't burn out later in the race.  I caught up with Kathie Walker around the mile 3 marker - she was battling a flare-up with an Achilles tendon - and after completing the first 5K loop in 25:16, I managed to stay in front of her as well.  One of the fun things about this race was a couple of out-and-back loops into neighborhoods, so you could see the runners a couple of minutes in front and a couple of minutes in back of you, saying hello - and also comparing progress against friendly competitors.  Curt Walker stayed in front of me for the entire race, but I felt that there was less than a 2-minute gap between us, so I felt really good about my race and pace.  As we approached the mile 3 marker, I realized that some of the 5K runners in my vicinity were starting to sprint to the end of their race, and so I kept to the right and just ran steadily through the chute to begin the second lap. 

The first 5K might have gone a bit faster than planned - and faster than my first lap in the 2015 race (26:13) - but I felt good and was maintaining a decent pace, taking short walk breaks only at the water stations, three in total.  I slowed down slightly in the second lap, but was still running about 5:20 min / km average pace.  When I passed the mile 5 marker at 43 minutes on the clock (41 minutes chip time), I knew that I was definitely on a PR pace, having run five miles in the Livvy's Love race in January in about 42 minutes.  Once we were back onto North Peachtree Street, I started pressing to maintain speed.  I saw 51 minutes on the clock as I passed the mile 6 marker (just under 50 minutes chip time) and realized that I might even beat 52 minutes if I kept up my pace.  Making the final two turns around the park, enjoying a steep downhill for the next-to-last block, I entered the finishing chute seeing 53 minutes on the clock, crossing the timing mat at 53:42!  I threw both arms in the air as I crossed the line in celebration, knowing that I had smashed my old PR!  Official time, 51:40!!


That was an amazing run.  While I had to work for it, the overall 8:20 min / mile pace was pretty comfortable for me, compared with last week's 5K at a 7:40 min / mile pace.  My heart rate monitor didn't sound until after the mile 5 marker, as I was going up the last hill, and as the road levelled off, the heart rate monitor was largely quiet until I began to push with about one-half mile to go. 

Kathie Walker won her age group, finishing about 25 seconds after me.  I ended up with a chip time slightly faster than Curt Walker - who placed 3rd in his age group.  I outran Brian Minor by a little more than 2 minutes, but he was happy to record a 10K personal record on the course.  Bonnie also finished strongly, just a minute slower than her 10K PR (set on a net downhill course), so it was a good day all around

Next race: Morningside Mile, tomorrow! (gulp)

No comments: