July 2, 2016: The Ruppert Landscape's Reject 10K

"Absolutely no qualifications necessary!"

240 years ago, on July 2, 1776, the Continental Congress met in Philadelphia and voted to declare independence from Great Britain.  The famous Declaration of Independence was announced two days later.  In Atlanta, the big event is the Peachtree Road Race on July 4, but there are a few other runs in the days preceding, most notoriously the Peachtree Road Rage on the evening of July 3 (see a couple of hilarious accounts on the 2015 rage by Running on E and Miranda in Motion).  

At the last minute, Bonnie and I decided to run the "Reject Run", which was held this morning in Lilburn on the Camp Creek Greenway.  Originally this was advertised for runners who didn't get into the Peachtree Road Race, but in this morning's announcements, it sounded like they were warned about referring to the race, and it appears that the "Reject Run" website has been slightly modified since I first saw the announcement several weeks ago.  

Bonnie and I have only recently discovered the Greenway, and the Tucker Running Club has adopted Lilburn's Greenway for our regular Sunday afternoon or evening running spot.  Even though Lilburn adjoins the community of Tucker, until very recently we have rarely gone to Lilburn, as it simply isn't in any of our usual directions of travel.  It took only about 10 minutes to get to Lilburn Main Street from our house, probably less than 5 miles.  

Tucker Running Club clowning around before the start:
Frank McDonald with Bonnie Youn, Myriam Fentanes, Linda Bode Phinney, and Jessica Rudd


The 10K began at 8:00 am, with the 5K to begin at 8:15.  The morning was warm, 77 deg F, but I was well hydrated and had a good warmup, running a bit more than a mile on the Greenway while waiting to begin.  When we lined up for the 10K race, we looked around and only about 25 people were running, the other 125 were waiting for the 5K!  I said something about "Medals for Everyone!" as we walked up to the line.  With little fanfare, we were given a starting command and we were off! 
USATF certification makes this a Peachtree Road Race qualifier - oops, can't say that...


I definitely went out too fast, and was 6th in the group heading up Main Street, initially at a 7 min / mile pace.  I managed to slow it down a little, just as a woman passed me - she ended up being the master's female winner - but knocked out the first mile in 8:05 (22 ft net uphill), just as I passed a young man - it turns out he would be the only 10K runner that I passed today.  Turning onto the Greenway, I maintained good speed at first, but approaching the two mile marker, I realized that my left shoe had come untied!  Good lesson for the big race on Monday - retie my shoes before starting!  Fortunately that didn't slow me down too much, no one passed me there and it didn't seem that the 5th place runner opened much more lead on me.  I finished the second mile in 8:36 (10 feet net downhill), right about where I wanted to be with pace.   Turning into Lions Park, I caught up to the 5th place woman, but then was passed by a young woman, and as the three of us worked our way uphill, I started to fall behind, as my heart rate monitor sounded, now in 7th place.  Nonetheless I knocked out a solid 9:07 (78 feet net uphill) for mile three, about a 26 minute 5K, which was my target.  If I could manage the same time for the second 5K, I would be very happy with today's race. 

Heading back downhill, I tried to pick up the pace a bit.  I tried to close the gap on the two runners ahead of me but the heat was getting to me and I managed only 8:56 for mile 4, despite 79 feet net downhill.  I walked through the water station before the mile 4 marker, where another woman passed me.  Now in 8th place, I realized that I was going to pay for my fast start - another lesson to remember for Monday's race!  As we approached the Lilburn City Park, I ran past the 5K turnaround and would be working around the occasional 5K runner for the rest of the race.   There was a water station right before the mile 5 marker, where I picked up another cup of water, then got back to speed to complete mile 5 in 9:36 (6 feet net downhill).  

My plan had been to speed up after the 5-mile mark, but I just didn't have much acceleration today.  As I continued north to the end of the Greenway, I heard a runner approaching behind me and moved from the center to the right half of the walkway.  As he passed me, I looked and realized that he was a likely age-group competitor!  I resisted the urge to interrogate him about his age - in truth I couldn't spare the breath - and sadly he pulled ahead of me.  I tried to speed up as we turned onto Poplar Street heading back to the park for the finish, but to my dismay realized that it it would be a long gradual uphill run.  Settling into 9th place, I could see only one runner behind me (ignoring the slower 5K walkers) but felt that I could stay in front of her.  Mile 6 took 9:40 (34 net uphill) at 54:00 exactly.  It was so much easier to run faster when it was cool in the winter and early spring!  
I did manage to speed up a bit heading into the finish (16 feet net downhill), crossing the line at 56:13 on the clock, 56:11 chip time, but about 30 minutes for the second 5K.   After the results were posted, the man that had passed me in the last mile was indeed in my age group.  He finished 52 seconds ahead of me - congratulations to him for running a smarter race!  I did finish in time to get photos of the others as they crossed the finish line. 

Myriam Fentanes finishing her first race in the United States



Jessica Rudd and Linda Bode Phinney finishing - and in the background, Bonnie Youn has just turned the corner. 

Bonnie finished strongly, moving ahead of the woman in the red shirt in the past 100 feet! 
The awards were unique but in fact probably more useful than any other that I've received - an impatiens plant from Ruppert Landscapes!  I will get a big pot and plant it on my front porch.  
Proudly collecting my award!




Tucker Running Club cleans up on the awards in Lilburn!  Congratulations to Myriam, Jessica, and Linda! 
Proudly displaying my award at the front door!

1 comment:

kurokitty said...

Congrats on the award!