December 30, 2017: Wrapping up 2017, and running goals for 2018

Best running times in 2017:

1 mile: 6:59 (March 26; PR 6:52 from 2016)  I ran this race on tired legs, one week after finishing a marathon, but managed to push through to break the 7 min time.
5K: 24:06 (April 29; PR 23:52 from 2016)  The weather was getting warm, but I held on and won 1st place in my age group.
First-place award featured Pete the Cat
4 mile: 33:38 (July 15; PR 33:30 from 2016)  I was pleased with my time in this mid-summer race, setting a course PR and nearly breaking a distance PR set in a mid-winter event.
Tucker Running Club provides a great community and camaraderie in several weekly runs.
This was Janet Pickney's last race.  (She was front and center in the white singlet) 
10K: 49:28 (September 4; PR)  After setting two new PRs for this distance earlier in the year, I broke the 50 minute barrier for the first time, following a great pace group. 
Crossing the finish line, in the orange runningnerds race team shirt.
If you click on the photo to expand, you may be able to see 49:52 gun time on the finish line clock. 
10 mile: 1:27:25 (October 22; PR)   This PR was largely the result of excellent pacing and successfully executing my race strategy.  
Brian and I have become good friends.  Our friendship began
a few years ago with some great conversations during long runs,
and has grown beyond running, from double dates to high school football.
I will be a groomsman at his wedding in April 2018.
Half marathon: 1:56:42 (December 17; PR)  This was my highlight race of the year, smashing the 2 hour barrier in a certified race, and improving my course PR by more than 3 minutes. 
One second before one of my biggest celebrations! 
Marathon: 4:48:12 (November 11; PR)  This was not my best marathon experience, but I set a new PR by one second(!), and learned a valuable lesson on the importance of long runs. 
Channeling Shalane Flanagan at the finish, even though she can run twice as fast as me.
Best running experiences in 2017:

3rd best:  This was difficult to decide, but I'm listing the Run the ATL relay, due to the camaraderie of running on a team.  I covered the second leg and ran one of my fastest 3-mile distances, not wanting to let down the others! 
Good showing from the Tucker Running Club team
2nd best:  The Publix Georgia Marathon:  I almost achieved a negative split strategy, I still felt great at the 20 mile mark, and managed to finish fairly strongly on a tough course.  This was a great confidence builder for my future as a marathon runner! 
Another finish line victory photo, captured by my lovely wife Bonnie
1st place:  The Galloway Half Marathon:  Not only did I run a personal record for the 13.1 mile distance, but I perfectly executed my race strategy from start to finish.  This was a wonderful way to close out the year!
Calling my shot: at mile 9, I predicted a 1:57 finish.
Worst running experiences in 2017:

3rd worst:  The Peachtree Road Race:  Returning from California about 24 hours before the start of the race, and having come down with a cold a few days earlier, I didn't run well, and barely broke 60 minutes for the 10K distance. 
Not my best look, falling asleep on the train after the race. 
2nd worst:  Thrill in the Hills 21K trail race:  I fell three times in this race, and my ribs hurt badly afterwards.  I went to Urgent Care for X-rays the next day, and fortunately didn't break any ribs, just badly bruised. 
I may be too clumsy to run trail races. 
Worst:  Janet Pickney's death, hit by a speeding police car on her morning run.  This was a terrible tragedy.  A policeman was driving 76 mph in a 40 mph zone, responding to a non-injury / non-crime case.  He lost control of his vehicle and struck Janet as she was in a crosswalk parallel to the roadway, running against traffic.  The policeman has been charged with vehicular homicide.  
Janet finishing the Tucker 5K in October 2016.
Photo from the Runner's World article on Janet's death.  
Running goals for 2018:

1) Run the Publix Georgia Marathon faster than 4:30, with a negative split strategy.  With better attention to endurance training, I'm confident that I can run a marathon at an average 10 min / mile pace.  I've joined the Atlanta Track Club training program, and will probably not run any races prior to March 18 other than a few Atlanta Track Club events that are part of the training plan. 

2) Develop consistency to run close to my new PRs in the 10K and half-marathon distances.  Specifically, I will aim to finish other 10K races in less than 50 minutes, and other half-marathons in less than 2 hours.  This will be difficult, but last year I managed to run most of my 5K races in less than 25 minutes, even though I didn't set a new PR at the 5K distance. 

3) Set new PRs in the 1 mile and 5K distances.   Although I had good 1 mile and 5K races in 2017, I was a few seconds off of my personal records in both distances.  I hope that the strength and mental toughness from marathon training can be channeled into running faster times at these shorter distances.  
Marathon training is off to a good start:
this morning I ran 15 miles at a sub 10 min / mile pace.  

No comments: