December 9, 2023: The Monday Night Brewing Westside 10K

Several weeks ago, my good friend Brian Minor sent me the following text: 

This is how the latest round of the
mano-a-mano competition began. 

I ran this race for the first time in 2021 when I was recovering from a strained gluteus, and the 10-miler version in 2022 as part of an 18-mile marathon training long run. Both races were challenges, but this fall, rebuilding my fitness through the half-marathon training program, I felt that I was ready to record a good result - and to notch a win for myself in the long-standing mano-a-mano competition with Brian. It had rained off and on all night, and I needed the windshield wipers throughout my drive to westside Atlanta, but the rain had ended by the time I parked and picked up my bib. To add a "4% speed" advantage from "supershoes", I wore my Adidas Adizeros, which I had last worn in my successful Thanksgiving Half Marathon. Today was the first time that I wore those $250 shoes on a wet course, but I've had them for 9 months so I wanted to get my money's worth while they were still in good shape.  

Before the race, ready to win! 

I caught up with Brian in the port-o-potty line, then went out for a short warmup. I felt confident and strong today, ready for the challenge. The temperature was cool but not cold at 54 deg F, and we were still dry, with the rain holding off. Walking to the start line, I stopped for a moment at the front of the pack, turned around and said to Brian "I think this is the right place to start." Brian was surprised, then realized I was joking, and we stepped back around 50 feet. 

Several hundred runningnerds ready to run!
It's not raining, but there are many puddles. 

My main strategy for today was to avoid getting ahead of Brian, just wait with him, then take advantage whenever he had a slight falter in the last mile, assuming that happened. That strategy worked in my 60th birthday 5K. Brian has a "lightning" kick, and has defeated me a couple of times catching me from behind in the last 200 meters. We crossed the starting mat together, and settled into a nice easy pace. I was constantly checking to make sure that Brian was on my left. When I pulled ahead by just a couple of steps, I looked back, then slightly slowed down, to make sure that Brian kept up with me. About 5 minutes into the race, the rain started, although it was never too heavy, and ended within a few minutes. Since I was expecting ran, I wore a cap today, and that helped me stay comfortable as the rest of my clothing became damp. Fortunately all of my clothing was wicking fabric, with wool socks on my feet, so I was never uncomfortable with the moisture as long as I was moving today. We were running 9 minute / mile pace, which is my half-marathon goal pace, so I had room to speed up whenever that time might come. Mile 1, 9:03; mile 2, 8:58. I felt good at that easy race pace, although I noticed that my heart rate was a little higher than I expected, nearly 160 beats per minute. 

video of our start, courtesy of Beverly Minor

We ran that tactical pace for 2-1/2 miles. Approaching Westside Reservoir Park, I accepted a cup of water and took a short walk break. Brian pulled ahead, but when I resumed running, I was only 10 seconds behind. Running into the park, slightly downhill, I gradually caught up to Brian and was running directly behind him as we made the turn. I stayed to his left as we made the clockwise turn. I was hoping to hide behind Brian for awhile. The mile 3 alert sounded, 8:51. I figured that Brian heard me running behind him, but he might not know that it was me. Then someone coming the other way gave my secret away, shouting "Good job, FRANK!" I'm sure they meant well. 

After that, I pulled even with Brian and said "I guess now you know that I've been hiding behind you!" As we began to run uphill, Brian responded: "This is the race!" and took off strongly. I followed, shortening my stride, but I was winded by the time I had reached the top of the hill at the park entrance. Leaving the park, both Brian and I took water this time. I needed to catch my breath before I could even begin to drink. But Brian wasn't in a hurry either. We walked together uphill for 30 seconds, then it stretched to a full minute. After 90 seconds of walking, Brian said "Let's go!" and we both resumed running. Making a right turn on West Marietta Street, Brian and I ran together as both of our watches sounded the mile 4 alert within a few seconds of each other: 9:47. 

Red is faster, blue is walking. Too much blue in mile 5, so read on....

The road continued uphill; several large trucks passed heading to the intersection with Marietta Boulevard. I was feeling winded again. I dropped behind Brian and slowed to a walk. I remember that happened last year in this same location. What alarmed me today was that I saw 180 bpm on my watch. My heart shouldn't be beating this rapidly. It's a good thing I took that walk break. After 60 seconds I resumed running, not wanting to lose sight of Brian. We turned left through the busy intersection onto Marietta Boulevard, leaving the trucks behind. Brian was about 30 seconds ahead of me. I told myself, you can close that gap, just be patient. "Relax and glide." I made a right turn onto Huff Road, while the 10-mile competitors continued straight ahead. I didn't envy them at all! We began a nice downhill section. I thought that I might gain a few seconds on Brian. But when I checked my watch, I was truly alarmed: 188 bpm, while running downhill. That should not happen. Severe oxygen debt, I thought. 

I slowed to a walk.  

I FELT BAD.

Oh, SHIT!!!

In that moment, I realized that I had taken my blood pressure medication this morning. 

When my doctor started me on losartan for borderline hypertension several years ago, he warned me "Don't take it the morning of your big marathon." A few months later, about 12 miles into a long easy run for marathon training, my heart rate had skyrocketed. I had to walk-slow run-walk for several miles to get back to the car. I'm not sure how much I really know about cardiovascular physiology, but I know that blood pressure rises when running, to bring enough oxygenated blood to the brain and other organs. I'm guessing that if my peak blood pressure is "capped" by medication, my heart rate will increase, as my cardiovascular system attempts to keep up, by any means necessary. 

Since that time, I have been careful not to take the medication before a morning race, or even before a morning run. Until today. I messed up. 

A whole lotta walkin' goin' on. 
Someone oughta write a song....

I gave up on racing Brian, and just concentrated on taking care of myself through the last two miles. I walked and walked, five full minutes. Many runners passed me: as Caroline Dunn came by, she asked if I was OK. I waved and simply said "I'll have an interesting blog post for this race." By the time Caroline had passed me, my pulse had dropped to 140 bpm, so I resumed running. Mile 5: 12:02. Almost immediately, my pulse was back to 180 bpm. I tapped my watch to make sure that the sensor was conducting properly, but my skin was damp, and this watch has been reliable. And I felt like there was a real problem with me, not the electronics. Another walk break, this time for two minutes. Approaching the intersection with Howell Mill Road, I recognized that I didn't have far to go. 51:30 elapsed, I probably wasn't going to finish within 60 minutes. 

Looking at this data, it was clear that my heart rate was far too high from the beginning,
I just didn't realize it until I was well into the race. 

I felt OK as I resumed running, around a 9 minute / mile pace. My heart rate was still high, but I didn't feel like I was in danger of collapsing, so I kept running. After the intersection with 17th Street, it was downhill the rest of the way, so I sped up a bit. Making the final turn onto Trabert Avenue, 56:45 elapsed. Could I finish in 3 minutes? The road curved gently to the right. I expected to see the finish line, but not yet! My watch didn't sound the mile 6 alert until shortly before the finish line: 9:44, 58:25 elapsed. Then the road made another gentle right turn, downhill and over the timing mat. The race clock showed 59:04 as I passed, 59:00 minutes on my watch, 6.08 miles for the course. 

video of Brian's finish
a few minutes later

I was so relieved to be finished, just running the 10K. I was wiped out physically, and perhaps even more exhausted emotionally. I found Brian, congratulated him on a good race, he mastered the many hills on this route, finishing in 55:30. Eventually I shared with Brian my medication faux pas. I don't want that to be an excuse for why I couldn't win today. That was my error, I know better, and hope I won't make that mistake again. 

Brian with the winner of the 10K race, Kevin Hicks

Frank with the winner of our mano-a-mano competition

(left) Big spread in our results: Brian 59th place, Frank 89th place.
(right) Results ordered by age: No younger participants outran me today! 

Today's stats

No comments: