June 14, 2014: In-Training for Peachtree, Week 4

Goal:  a strong, consistent run through a hilly neighborhood, 5.5 miles total


I had a good week in my preparations for the Peachtree Road Race: 6.22 miles at Stone Mountain on Tuesday morning, and 4 miles on the Eastside Beltline on Thursday morning, doing my 2 miles of speed work going northbound, with a consistent mild elevation drop of 100 feet over the 2-mile stretch.  This morning I woke to the relatively cool temperature of 65 deg F, and fog!  Although the humidity was high, the cloud cover was going to make this a pleasant day for running, if it held. 

We had a fairly large group today.  The coaches prepared a winding route through the Brookhaven neighborhood, so Coach Curt was particularly concerned about runners getting lost.  However, Coach Kathie had run the route earlier this month, and the route that she had posted with Map My Run



included mile markers and a better sense of the directions to follow.  We had run through part of this neighborhood three weeks ago on our four-mile run, but today's run would take us further back into the neighborhood, near Silver Lake.

Mile markers circled in red, elevations (in feet) in blue
Coach Chuck led the faster group today.  He had told us before (and reminded us today) that he would start out slowly but would be able to maintain a decent pace once he was warmed up.  Student S. and I started out with Chuck, and I took the lead on Hermance Drive.  After crossing a small creek, we headed uphill as the road turned northward toward Windsor Parkway. Windsor Parkway is on top of a ridge, with the highest point, 1030 ft, near the intersection with Woodrow Way.  We would cross this high point three times in today's run: shortly before the end of the first mile, midway through the fourth mile, and about 2/3 of the way through the fifth mile.  

Unlike last week, I had slept well last night, had plenty of time to stretch this morning, and overall was feeling really good.  It probably also helped that we enjoyed cloud cover and slightly lower temperatures.  The first new part of the course was the turn onto Inman Drive, a long winding road overlooking Silver Lake.  I loved looking at the forest to my right leading down to the water, and appreciated the elegant and expensive houses on the left side of the street.  Inman Drive had several short hilly stretches, but I was able to maintain a decent pace.  Chuck caught up with me around the 2-mile marker and we ran together for a while.  Each turn of the route was well-marked, although it seemed to take a long time to reach the midway point at the intersection of Chambord with Woodrow Way (marked by the balloon in the map).  We completed the third mile in just under 29 minutes, slower than my 5K race pace, but I was mindful that we were going nearly twice as far today.  Woodrow Way was a long, gradual but steady uphill stretch to the high point at the intersection with Windsor Parkway.  Chuck moved ahead at this point.  I focused on my form and that helped me to move forward a bit more quickly, although I was careful not to red-line the heart beat monitor, so that I would have some energy to complete the longer run.  Curt arrived at this point to photograph us as we struggled uphill.  


We rehearse everything in training, choosing what to wear, planning for carrying water and keys, and discussing strategies for tackling hills.  The photo shows me rehearsing the cardiac incident that I hope to avoid on July 4.  But if heart trouble should strike, I am now prepared. 


After crossing Windsor Parkway, we were back on familiar ground from three weeks ago, running downhill on Woodrow Way with Oglethorpe University to our right, then north and uphill on Lanier Drive, to the intersection with Windsor Parkway at the top of the ridge.  It was a relief to know that the rest of the run would be net downhill.  Chuck turned back as we crossed Woodrow Way for the third time today, to check on the runners behind me, and I was on my own for the final 3/4 mile.  At the five-mile alert, I resolved to pick up my pace for the final 1/2 mile.  Even though we had run further today, I felt that I had an easier time with Hermance Way than three weeks ago.  Just before making the last turn to the Publix garage, I spotted Chuck about 100 feet behind me.  He had certainly caught up quickly!  I was motivated to put on a dash of speed (and was delighted that I could manage it!) and sprinted for the last 100 yards into the Publix garage.  5.57 miles in 55:32 total. 



When I checked my splits (9:21, 9:46, 9:42, 10:21, 10:51 per mile, and 9:39 pace for the final 0.57 mile), I was initially disappointed to have slowed down so badly in miles 4 and 5.  But after I charted my times against the elevation map, I realized that I did fine: miles 4 and 5 had significant uphill runs to the high point at the intersection of Windsor Parkway and Woodward Way.  And not only did I have energy for a final sprint, but I also recovered quickly after the run.  

I'm definitely feeling stronger in the eighth week of the training program, and have learned a lot about improving my endurance, especially tackling the hills.  Next week, we're running the race route on Peachtree, albeit on the sidewalks.


Goal:  a strong, consistent run through a hilly neighborhood, 5.5 miles total: Achieved! 

No comments: