June 28, 2014: In-Training for Peachtree, the final week

Goal: a strong finish to a four-mile run along Peachtree Road in Brookhaven


Today was the final run of the In-Training for Peachtree course.  We had a fairly small group, as the 4-mile run scheduled for this morning was a bit anti-climactic after the 6.2 mile course run last Saturday.  It was good to see the coaches one last time and to thank them for their work.  Coach Rob, student A. and I set out promptly at 7:45 am for two miles down Peachtree Road to the intersection with Peachtree-Dunwoody road, with a fairly easy elevation profile.  I was feeling good and aimed to run a consistent pace, leaving enough energy to put on a burst of speed at the end. 


The turnaround point was within sight of Phipps Plaza, where I will be gathering with group C runners next Friday morning.  It was tempting to keep going forward, and if I hadn't been with the running group, I might have continued to aim for another 6 miles, taking MARTA back to Brookhaven from wherever I would end up along the route.  In any case it was a good run, and for the last mile or so I stayed out in front of the others.  

Feelin' groovy, in mile 3


When we crossed Osborne Road I was still feeling strong, even though it was uphill, and then when the Town Center mall came into view, I kicked into my higher gear. I felt that Rob and A. were keeping up with me, but didn't realize that they were right behind me until I made the U-turn into the Publix parking garage!  I had good splits:

mile 1: 9:04
mile 2: 9:13
mile 3: 9:55 (walked for a moment after the turnaround)
mile 4: 9:28
0.09 mile dash into the garage in 46 seconds, an 8:31 pace for whatever that counts

Although I was drenched at the end, I was delighted that I had enough energy left for a final strong sprint.  Of course on Friday we'll be running 2.2 more miles and a tougher elevation profile before reaching the end, but I feel that I'm well prepared.  I'm not sure that I'm faster after the training course, but my endurance has definitely improved over the past few months, and health-wise (which is how I got into this in the first place!) that is undoubtably more important than my times.  Also with the warmer temperatures, perhaps I should not expect that my summer times will be the same as my winter times, so it will be interesting to run some of the same races and routes a year later to see if I've improved. 

Lookin' drenched after the sprint!

With Coach Rob Gee.  Thanks Rob for your coaching over the past couple of months!


I'm very thankful to the coaches and the other students.  I'm especially grateful to coaches Rob and Chuck for leading my groups each week, teaching me some of their tips on running and providing lots of encouragement along the way!  Also head coaches Curt and Kathie have done a great job with the weekly sessions, organizing each session including several seminars in the early weeks, teaching us all some really good warmup and stretching exercises, as well as valuable tips on running safely, and recovering after tough runs.  Curt sent us the routes a few days before each session, shared photos shortly after each run on Facebook (many of which have appeared on this blog), and in general building a great sense of camaraderie among the members of the Brookhaven Group.  I look forward to seeing many of the Brookhaven group runners and coaches at future events around town! 

Head coaches Kathie and Curt Walker.  You did a great job leading our group!  I look forward to congratulating you both in some upcoming races!


After completing the Peachtree 10K, my next goal will be the Atlanta 10-miler race in October.  I had been eyeing this race for a couple of months, and last night decided to make the commitment with my $65 registration fee.  It is a good intermediate step to a half-marathon and there will be enough time for me to increase my training mileage.  And if I have to walk part of the 10-miler, so be it! 

Goal: a strong finish to a four-mile run along Peachtree Road in Brookhaven: Achieved!!

For the final week of training, Krispy Kremes and Gatorade!  But I tracked it! (5 points for the donut, 2 points for each cup of Gatorade)

No comments: